Friday, April 27, 2007

Swearing in and heading out...

Hello everybody, I am sitting using the wonderful free internet at the Peace Corps office in the capital. Wednesday was swearing in and the past two days we have had some time to get ourselves together before we head out tomorrow to our sites. The swearing in ceremony was very nice with lots of kind words from our directors and members of our host families there to celebrate with us. We took our oath (yes yes) in both english and spanish and crossed that boundary between trainee and volunteer! There was delicious cake and juice (although my stomach problems prevented my from partaking to the fullest) and they even showed some slides of us from training. Tomorrow I will head out to my site to begin my service and my life as a PCV. My emotions are kind of running wild. I have gotten used to the schedule of training and having busy days with other volunteers around for support. Life will be very different out in my site, but I am hoping that it will have its own perks and highlights. Well, here I go...

Can't wait to talk to you all and hear how life is going back in the good old US of A. (P.S. Last night we went to the Hard Rick cafe and I have never loved nor appreciated the amazingness that is America so much in my life. It was fabulous and they served real food besides rice and beans! Wow.) I send my love.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay - I am first to comment. YIPPEE!! The science teacher right now is reading my 5th graders a book about sperm and eggs being joined in a glass. So interesting. Thinking of you Alissa really beginning your service. Of course your emotions will be all over the place. Love you, tu madre

Anonymous said...

Your service journey begins with one step at a time. Can't wait to hear more. sounds like you will be learning what it means to raise kids. everything is a phase, sometimes good, sometimes bad, but always changing. good luck


steve

p.s. nancy & I had the opportunity to meet the Dalai Lama yesterday, truly amazing !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok...mom is listening to sperm and egg lecture and thinks of you...Steve tells you that now you will learn about raising kids.....is there a theme here?

Now it begins in earnest and it sounds really exciting. I am sure you will do well and it sounds, from your description of the welcome you got in your location that they can'w wait for you to be there as well. They are about to learn what we here already know.....that they are lucky to be getting a wonderful, bright, competent person to help them reach there potential.

Hard Rock food....hmmmmmmmm....Americanalicious. Have fun and keep us in the loop.

Michael

Anonymous said...

Off you go into the wild blue yonder, as they used to say in the air force. Congrats on becoming an official PCV, which is way better than a PVC, which is plastic pipe!
No words of wisdom here, that you have covered.
Have a spectacular time and does the town have a bakery?

Anonymous said...

Gosh everyone is full of words of wisdom on this one. Who knew Steve was such a philosopher. Well just wait till the sushi cravings kick in. God I miss sushi. Fried food I've ha enough of. Rice and beans sounds good to me!. Good luck!
Jaclyn

Unknown said...

I don't have much to say other than it is great fun reading your blog...and it was great talking to you on the phone the other day.
Love,
Uncle Rob

Kosh said...

"I am not saying anything"
-Miriam

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Alissa! Yes, I finally got around to reading & posting something on this wonderful blog of yours. I think I've caught up a bit.

WOW...in Cotui huh? One of my cousins grew up there-he knows it well. If I remember correctly, it's only 45 mins or so from La Vega (so yes..I will do everything possible to go see you old friend).

I'm glad you're having a good time & learning lots! Sorry to hear about the M. bites (they will tire of you & leave you alone in a couple of months)! lol

Take care of yourself-and enjoy the smell of "El Campo" I miss it so! :)

Frankie (Your Buddy From Venezuela)