Monday, April 16, 2007

Project Assignments!


Hello everyone! Today was a big day in my journey as a Peace Corps Vounteer. After much anticipation, we all got our project assignments. It says that the town has about 5,000 people and is about half an hour from the bigger town of Cotuí (where a special education volunteer is stationed) and in the province of Sánchez Ramirez. It also looks about 2 hours or so from the capital, but I can´t really tell. I will be working at the computer lab at the high school which has about 500 students divided into 2 tandas (sections: one morning and one afternoon) and my official project partner is the lab supervisor/encargado. The lab does not have internet but I will be helping teach the students, the teachers, and it sounds like I will be working a lot with the committee in charge of the lab to help develop their skills and have the center function as a financially sustainable resource to the community. Well, I basically still have no idea what it is like or what I will be doing, but I will find out soon! Tomorrow we all meet our project partners and head off to visit our sites where we will stay until Sunday. Then it´s back to the capital where we swear in on Wednesday and head out for good! It all feels like a whirlwind right now and I am a little nervous about going off to my site and actually making this all happen, alone, but this is why I came here so here goes...

And yes, today we all got our cell phones! I think we may be the only country to issue cell phones to volunteers, and the official reasoning is in case of hurricanes (of which the season is rapidly approaching). But, while they have an important offical purpose, we are free to use them to talk as we wish and I would love to chat with you all! If you would like my phone number, email me and I can send it to you... (or you can ask my parents for it)

I will write more after I see my site and actually know a little more! Miss you all and send my love.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tally (you will excuse the expression) Ho and away you go....From your map it looks like the site is inland, a good thing for hurrican season....Good luck and have a great time...jeez...you got to teach high school before I did....

Nancy said...

Alissa,

Sounds great; a large small town and a decent sized high school. High schoolers are mini adults and will be stimulating to work with (!?!?!). Location works for me and I hope it does for you as well. Without internet, I assume you will be word processing and teaching typing. Can't wait to hear your first impressions. Much love, Auntie Nancy

Anonymous said...

Damn, Mikie is back on his game as a first responder. So now that the teachers have checked in, here come the lawyers! Muy exciting.....just how lucky is this community to get such a star! Venga muchacha!

Anonymous said...

It was great talking to you last night. Can't wait to come visit you in December. By then you will know most of the people and can introduce tus padres. Wow - 5,000 people and 500 high schoolers. Interesting. Love you, mom

nwasserm said...

Hey,

Looks like you might be within' spitting distance (20-30miles) of where Jeka will be in June (hopefully me too). The organization/clinic is called Pequeños Pasitos and can be found at http://www.amotherswish.org/.
I know it's to the east of Santiago, but I'm not sure exactly where. One or both of us might see you in a little over a month!

lawwass said...

The adventures keep coming -- WOW !!!!

it is wonderful to hear about your efforts. I am sure that you bring a welcoming face and attitude that helps how the American people are viewed in the world. We need all the help we can get. Hope and caring is big in your suitcase.

Hugs,

Steve

Sarah said...

Alissa!!

My first comment to you, other than gchatting during work!

I am sooo excited for you about placement! Perhaps I'll just have to save up and get my butt down there. I sorta know the langauge...or at least...I used to! Whatever, you can translate!

lovelove and hugs.

Sarah