Monday, March 12, 2007

My new palace (and the clumsiness that is I)

On Thursday I arrived in El Seibo for my Community Based Training. We will be spending about 5.5 weeks here doing technical training, spanish classes, and internships in computer centers. I was very excited when I arrived at my new house because it is beautiful and I have a nice room and even a private bathroom! I call it my palace. The food the doña cooks is amazing as well. Then, the first night I took a shower and as I was reaching for my towel I slipped, fell, and cracked the bathtub. It´s one of those plaster ones where it feels like it might break if you jumped really hard...Anyway, I smushed in the plaster in the corner. (I thought immediately of my mom and the broken toilet in Cuba.) I felt so bad and didn´t tell them until the next day because I didn´t want to just arrive and announce that I´d already broken something. But since then, things have been going well. On Friday night I went to the adventist church with my doña and son where they sang Jesus songs (some to the tune of Country Roads), watched videos where white Jesus healed people, and did a little skit about Jesus flowers (yeah, i must have missed something there). On Saturday we went to a beach called Playa Esmeralda which was about 1.50-2 hours away. It was absolutely beautiful and there was hardly anybody there. Another volunteer, Angela, and I took a walk down the beach and met this nice man who cut us each a coconut and I got to drink the water fresh from it and then eat it. Yummm. Later that night we went to the one and only discotec in town called WOW. Yup, it´s name is WOW. My dancing skills are pretty much in the dumps but I still danced some merengue and bachata. Sunday I hung around at home and watched movies like The Italian Job and Back to the Future in spanish. It rained so I didn´t really venture out. And the rain brought the cockroaches (there was one in my bathtub this morning which I had to kill...yes, I killed it myself. And then another one on the floor. But I was too traumatized from the first one to deal with the second one and had to call my doña to take care of it.) As for training, we are doing a mini community diagnostic (which we will spend the first 3 months at our own sites doing- basically just learning about the community) and will be presenting that next week. We are also observing and talking to teachers at the high school to learn more about the education system. I´m a little disappointed that my spanish hasn´t gotten too much better, which also makes me nervous about teaching in spanish, but I guess that will all come with time. Love you all and think about you all the time! (I actually spent time last night looking at the pictures of everyone I brought!) MUAH

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

MUAH? Hmmmm. Perhaps I can figure that out. It sounds like exciting stuff and thank goodness for a Dona to deal with the second of two cockaroahes. As I rmember the urban variety found in Boston, they are often too fast to seek and destroy. Well done. The beach sounds beautiful. Hope all stays exciting and stimulating

Flottemogger said...

Hey Alissa,

It is so amazing to hear about your experiences so far! I was just checking that your address is still the same Cuerpo de Paz one you listed in January. Miss you and how neat is it to have a Dona to teach you things.

Anonymous said...

Bienvenidas a la vida adventurosa!

Gracias por las noticias. Me recuerda cuando pasé mi primer noche afuera de los EEUU en Guatemala.

Fui a la iglesia evangelica con mi familia (sí, cantamos las mismas canciones;). Comimos pizza. Y me enfermé y pasé la noche en frente del inodoro...y no fue un inodoro lujo, más como el camping. Pero, me encantó a cada momento.

Lo siento por mi español tan horible pero espero más noticias!

Te extraño in DC (expecialment River Road)!!!

Anonymous said...

Alissa, cucarachas do come out when it rains AND at night. The ones in Cuba and Miami where huge and slow - don't know about the Dominicans. My recommendation is that you don't walk to bathroom at night without shoes on and definitely use these same shoes to smash them if they come near. After a while it might just become routine. Maybe you will become known as the "Matadora de Cucarachas". Glad you made it to the beach, work on your dancing - it sounds like the Dominicans dance often. They might even have close to the rythm that Cubans have. love Rene

Anonymous said...

hey Lis, take a glass or plastic container, let the cockroach climb into it , take something flat to put over the container and take the critter way outside. no kill.
does this Dona know that you are Jewish or just let it drop because they dont understand?
love
abbey