Thursday, March 15, 2007

A few random notes

Just a couple random notes to share with everyone (while I have a few minutes of free internet!):

-EL Seibo (where I am) is the only part of the DR to have light/electricity 24 hours a day. However, the first day I was here there was a blackout. Still, I am living it up with the luz 24 horas.
-In case you haven`t noticed, the spanglish has begun.
-All Dominicans think they can sing well and go around singing all the time, sin verguenza.
-Dominicans talk about everything, all the time. It`s fascinating because they will talk about anything and yet never seem to get anywhere in their conversations. The son at my house talks all the time and I felt bad that I couldn`t understand what he was saying until I realized it was all nonsense (like how someone killed the bread and what they wrote on it`s tombstone). Also, when you think about piropos (catcalls) in this context, it makes sense. Dominicans would comment if a leaf dropped in front of them or they saw a puddle, of course they will comment on a foreigner walking by!

Right now I am at the internet center where I am doing my internship. The teacher had to leave for a meeting or something and left me and the other volunteer to run the class. We taught one class on how to write upper case letters with accents and right now the second class is working on writing the story of their lives.

P.S. The rice, plantains, yucca, bread, etc. is taking a toll on my physique. I tried to go "running" the other day, but now my body hurts. Hard to get excersize here.

Love you all and am starting to miss having good friends around... MUAH

3 comments:

Lauren H. said...

Alissa - you rock! I finally have sat down and read your entire blog while I wait for the kids to arrive at work. Sounds amazing and new and different and all of that good stuff. Hey, ever thought of being a travel writer?
Love you,
Lauren

Anonymous said...

WOW indeed, Alissa! What a great way to learn about the DR.
Just finished reading your posts so far and looking forward to the next ones.
(Keeping these pages open for Frank.)
Love,
-Lee

Anonymous said...

Spanish??!!
Are they all foreigners there? Doesn't anybody speak Yiddish?
Learning about the DR is a real adventure, and Spanish will enrich the rest or your life. Pardon me for preaching. Learning is one of the hidden pleasures. Have fun!
Love
Frank