Saturday, February 17, 2007

First days in country

I am in the Dominican Republic! I wanted to let everyone know I have arrived safe and sound. We arrived on the 15th, spent the first night in a "retreat" center where we had general introductions and lined up for our first shot of many. It was kind of funny seeing 30 people in a row getting a mosquito net, malaria pills, and then a rabies shot. Welcome to the DR. The next day we headed out to our training center which is kind of on the outskirts of Santo Domingo. The center itself is quite beautiful and tranquil. They said that the DR is one of the 3 noisiest countries in the world (bring your earplugs) and I believe it. But yeah, the training center is very nice and the people there are all great too. I was feeling really confident about my spanish abilities after hearing the people there speak and talking with some. Then, at the end of the day, we were picked up by our host families. It was like they were speaking another language. Dominicans pronounce about half of each word and when they speak slower to try and help, they don't actually pronounce any more of it. Anyways, my family is very nice- a Dona, her daughter, and three grandsons. We have running water 3-4 days a week and the electricity comes and goes. There are also about 6 or so chickens and a rooster which crows alllll night long. Aparently, most of the families we are staying with are considered lower middle class. pretty interesting. So, last night we talked a little and I showed her the pictures of my family. This morning she helped me and my neighbors (3 other volunteers are living in the houses next door) get to training and then we came home at 1ish. They don't seem to have a lot of planned activities (although one volunteer aparently went to a wedding his first night) but rather just sit around and chat. Definately a different pace of life. So yeah, I better head back before my absence becomes an oddity. I will try and report more and communicate on a more personal basis as time goes on. Much love to everyone.

No comments: